Peja Patriarchy, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a complex of churches located in the suburbs of Pejë, near the Lumbardh River, at the entrance of Rugova Gorge. This complex dates from the XIII century and is the site where the Serb episcopate and patriarchs resided. From its inception, the Patriarchy was a gathering place for theologians, writers and artists alike—a place where artistic heritage was greatly stressed and, today, remains one of core monuments to Kosovo’s cultural heritage. The site was established as an archbishopric during the time of Saint Sava. From 1236 until 1364, the complex was situated in the Žici monastery until it was moved to the city of Pejë. At the time of Stefan Dušan it was declared a Patriarchy. After the Ottoman invasion, it joined the Ohrid Archbishopric, staying with this order for one hundred years. The complex is divided into churches, among them, the Saint Apostles Church, the Church of Saint Dimitrije (in Serbian Bogorodica Odigitrije), and the church of Saint Nicholas. The renown and decorative frescoes at St. Apostles church were drawn by anonymous artists of the XIII century.