It is situated 12 km west of Kotor and it is the best preserved entity in the Baroque style on the Montenegrin coast. With the strengthening of the navy, Perast experienced the peak of its development in the 17th and 18th centuries. In that period the most beautiful buildings in this old town were built. Palaces that used to belong to maritime captains were built in the Baroque style. These are the Bujović Palace from 1693, the Zmajević Palace, the Badović Palace and the Smekja Palace. Monuments of cultural interest: – The Church of St. Nikola was built in the period between the 15th and 17th centuries. The church has in its possession a rich treasury. – The Parish Church was built according to the design of the Venetian architect Giuseppe Beati. The construction started in 1740. Currently only the church tower and the church vault remain, while the church’s shape is known thanks to a preserved wooden model. – The Church of St. Djordje was built on the island in front of the town. It belongs to the Benedictine Monastery that was built in the 12th century. – Gospa od Škrpjela is a church built in 1630, in Baroque style, on the artificially made island in front of Perast. There is a collection of great artworks by Italian painters. The church is decorated with 68 paintings by Tripo Kokolj, a painter from Perast, the most famous name among Baroque painters.